Re: Using the RM for ADTs

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:42:22 -0400

"none (Reinier Post)" <rp_at_raampje.> wrote in message news:4a5badd3$0$8677$703f8584_at_news.kpn.nl...
> Brian Selzer wrote:
>
>>It's not a question of philosophy. Identity and identification are
>>completely different concepts. In particular, identity involves all
>>properties while identification involves just those properties that serve
>>distinguish one object from another. There can be many sets of properties
>>that identify something at any given time, but only something that has all
>>the same properties at all times can be considered identical.
>
> It's only completely different if you postulate an absolute object
> universe in which every object absolutely exists. You have not
> demonstrate the need for this postulate. Just considering identity
> and identifiability to be the same thing, namely, a property of terms
> used in a given a conceptual model, makes a lot more sense to me.
> The difference you refer to just the difference between identity in
> two conceptual models to me. Except that according to you, one is
> The Absolute Object Model, which will always remain elusive
> (we'll never agree on all the details).

I think we have our wires crossed here. I don't postulate an absolute object universe in which every object absolutely exists. I postulate a fixed universe that contains everything that CAN be discussed. For a fixed domain, individual quantifiers range over everything that can possibly be, not just everything that actually is. Existence--that is, actual existence--is a property that everything that has become actual but hasn't yet become history has.