Re: the passing of a champion

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 14:54:15 -0700 (PDT)

On 4 juil, 23:27, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> Cimode wrote:
> > Interesting.  This post mortem ghost reflexion (and I mean that in a
> > respectful way) does sound like a testament to future generations of
> > scientists.  Once again, it is fascinating to observe that the post
> > industrial Western thirst for an immediate instutionalization of
> > empirical discoveries has hit the brick wall of historical science
> > realism.  History indeed tells a totally different story.  It took
> > *centuries* for Greek mathematical empirism to be rediscovered,
> > corrected and clarified by Algebra (notably by Arabs, Indians and
> > Persians).  Why would relational model be any different ?
>
> > The truth is that a historical perspective on contemporary science is
> > always a far too risky endeavour.  History of exact sciences is indeed
> > made of slow-paced truth discoveries, implementation underachievements
> > and rediscovered opportunities,and all of these may be  separated by
> > centuries of forgotten formalisms.
>
> > It seems too early for the potential of the relational model to become
> > institutionnalized by western post industrial societies where
> > educational system are going down the hill, overtaken by corporate
> > consumerist truth-conditionning training programs.  The most probable
> > scenario is that the relational model will probably be rediscovered
> > some day by some unknown scientist from Africa Asia.  And quite
> > frankly I don't see it happening in my lifetime.
>
> > IMHO.
>
> And there were so few doing the 'rediscovering'.  It makes me think that
> the modern notion of mass literacy is an illusion.
<<It makes me think that
the modern notion of mass literacy is an illusion. >> Throughout history, mass literacy has mainly been a purpose driven political *myth*. A convenient and self sustaining myth that guarantees its survival by giving people the *illusion* of making rational choices.

Yes. Empires need mythes to survive. When the mythes are not sufficient anymore, the empire falls down. Received on Sat Jul 04 2009 - 23:54:15 CEST

Original text of this message