Re: Is a function a relation?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:46:13 -0400

"David BL" <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:52c7c97b-56f7-4486-a2a6-139dac691470_at_p23g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...
> On Jun 29, 5:11 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
>> "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>>

>> > The definition of 'variable' (relevant to this discussion) doesn't
>> > constrain physical implementation choices in any way. The sense in
>> > which a variable is deemed to hold a value can be arbitrarily
>> > indirect, and for example may involve physical storage of deltas.
>>
>> The use of relvars does constrain physical implementation--at least
>> indirectly. The decision to use relvars relegates delete, insert, and
>> update to being shortcuts for assignment.
>
> I disagree. Variables can have many distinct ways of being
> reassigned. This can be modelled by representing changes to variables
> as values of various types!

Can you please elaborate?

> My area of research (Operational Transform) concerns the recording of
> locally generated deltas on a replicated, distributed database as
> values (called "operations") that can be propagated efficiently in
> order to achieve synchronisation without any need for distributed
> transactions.

It sounds like a very interesting area of research. I can only imagine what it entails.

> I certainly don't think of operations as just shortcuts
> for assignments. This is not just a physical distinction, it is a
> logical one. In fact a logical representation of an operation allows
> for the concept of intention preservation when operations are
> transformed against each other in such a way that they can be applied
> in different orders at different sites, yet still allow all sites in
> the distributed system to converge to the same final state.
>
> Let the execution of operation O on state S result in state S' denoted
> by S' = S+O. In the OT literature two concurrent operations O1,O2
> that are applied on the same initial state S are said to be equivalent
> if S+O1 = S+O2. This is not a sufficient condition for O1=O2.

I'm cringing a bit here. This reminds me of the problems associated with Sql Server replicating updates as delete/insert pairs.

> This formalises the sense in which it is possible to say that delete,
> insert and update can be equivalent to assignment, but not the same as
> assignment.

I'm cringing again, because this implies that descriptions must be rigid under the intended interpretation. I think that in order to be equivalent, the result has to be not just the same syntactically, but also semantically. When I issue an update, I am asserting that something appears different, but when I issue a delete and an insert, I am asserting that something ceased to exist while at the same time something else came into existence; therefore, even though the results of two operations may be identical syntactically, they are not necessarily semantically equivalent.

> This is regardless of whether one treats the database state as the
> abstract value of a database variable.

>> > I already pointed out the flaw in that statement. Physical database
>> > systems are variables not values.
>>
>> I don't think it is flawed since those variables can only contain
>> abstract,
>> well defined mathematical objects that cannot change.
>
> I don't see what the problem is.

>> > You're going to have to expand on that.
>>
>> What do you want to know?
>
> When someone uses a debugger to view values of integer variables on
> the stack frame, are you saying they aren't variables, or that they
> don't exist in time and space?

Now you're talking about a physical manifestation of the abstract.

>> > Relation values aren't constructed (rather they are selected). You
>> > make it sound like they can suddenly spring into existence.
>>
>> They can in D. See <relation selector inv> on page 110 of TTM 3rd
>> Edition.
>
> That is a *selection* of a relation value. It doesn't cause a
> relation value to come into existence. D&D are careful about this -
> that's why they use the term selection not construction.

I don't know about you, but the right hand side of the assignment,

PQ := RELATION { TUPLE { P# P#('P1'), QTY QTY( 600) } ,

                                 TUPLE { P# P#('P5'), QTY QTY( 500) } ,
                                 TUPLE { QTY QTY(1000), P# P#('P2') } ,
                                 TUPLE { P# P#('P4'), QTY QTY( 500) } ,
                                 TUPLE { QTY QTY(400), P# P#('P3') } ,
                                 TUPLE { P# P#('P6'), QTY QTY( 100) } } ;

From page 153, TTM 3rd Edition, looks to me like a relation that just sprang into existence!