Re: Is a function a relation?

From: none <rp_at_raampje.>
Date: 29 Jun 2009 22:08:28 GMT

David BL wrote:

[...]
>interesting idea that one can use the RA to define functions. E.g.
>start with some n-ary relation and use projection to get a binary
>relation, and rename as required according to this special naming
>convention.

Functions were introduced to me, in high school, as binary relations that are subject to a functional dependency.

Treating functions as constrained relations won't help you much, though. E.g. in order to arrive at all computable functions you'll need to come op with some computing machinery of whatever form. Starting out with relations doesn't change that.

--
Reinier