Re: Is a function a relation?

From: Joe Thurbon <usenet_at_thurbon.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 02:10:02 GMT

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:35:36 +1000, David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 12:26 pm, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> I agree that the topic of interpretation is relevant to database
>> theory.
>
> I'll take that back. I would rather narrow the term "database theory"
> to a pure mathematical discipline, and therefore instead say that
> interpretation is only relevant to the practical application of
> database theory.

There may be some talking at cross purposes here.

I had assumed that when database theoreticians talked about interpretations they were talking about something similar to what logicians call an interpretation (or interpretation function, depending on what you're reading). In logic, an interpretation is very much a mathematical construct (c.f. model theory).

(I've just received my mail-order of Date's Logic and Databases, so hopefully soon I'll be able to confirm or deny the above assumption.)

What are you talking about when you say interpretation?

Cheers,
Joe Received on Sat Jun 27 2009 - 04:10:02 CEST

Original text of this message