Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:28:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 20, 9:11 pm, Keith H Duggar <dug..._at_alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> > One could use a dictionary to implement name-based plain composition,
> > though. Is that correct?
>
> You probably already know this but C++ supports arrays and (with
> libraries) associative array. I've found them fairly useful when
> implementing some of the relational ideas I've learned from this
> newsgroup and the classic books.

C++ is officially a "multi-paradigm" language, rather than an OO language per se. In other words, it has features from many computing models, including OO-style features, thrown together in an entirely ad-hoc fashion.

Which is not to say that I necessarily think C++ sucks; it is certainly quite a design achievement to shoehorn all that stuff in there and stay as close to C as was done! The market success of the language is no small achievement either. But whatever C++'s virtues, elegance is not one of them.

> Of course, they are no substitute for native relational language
> support.

No question.<sob>

Marshall Received on Mon Jun 22 2009 - 01:28:40 CEST

Original text of this message