Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:33:50 GMT

Nilone wrote:

> ... On second thought, I suppose the user could just
> select those tuples directly from the base relation, if they needed
> them.

If that's what you think, it might be productive to ask why have views in the first place? If there is some reason to have them, a further question would be should there be logical independence? (If there is no reason, maybe they are in fact a physical device.) If the answer to that is "no, just a little bit of independence, with various exceptions", then I'd ask what is the point of logical independence, why not just dispense with that 'requirement' if it is that incomplete. There is a rampant affliction among some that is akin to slavery - blind reason. It is one thing to apply logic in a vacuum but logic that ignores deliberate circumstance is actually pointless.

On a recent theme, what about inserting to a view that is a GROUPing of some base relvar? Should the 'insert' succeed sometimes but not other times? Received on Fri Jun 19 2009 - 03:33:50 CEST

Original text of this message