Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:52:31 -0300

toby wrote:

> On Jun 9, 9:56 am, dr.coff..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>

>>I have asked the one question that just about everybody
>>with a little bit of OO programming experience will ask
>>when entering the world of SQL databases:
>>
>>How do OO class concepts map to SQL table concepts?
>>
>>It's a trivial question that I have found no clear answer
>>for, neither in my books or here. ...
>>No. The database community (posters here, textbooks) seem
>>unable to answer the one, simple general question any
>>programmer unfamiliar with SQL will ask.
>
> I'm surprised you haven't found C.J. Date's writings on the subject.
> You will find him very lucid on the relational model versus objects.
>
> For example, some of the essays in "Date on Database". The other books
> on this page are also recommended: http://www.dbdebunk.com/books.html

Why would that surprise you? Before he could find anything, he would have to read something. He admits to having Teorey without reading it.

Teorey was the first relational design book I read. I wouldn't say it is the best out there, but it is not as flawed and misleading as most.

Date's writings won't help him any more than Teorey if he doesn't read them. Received on Tue Jun 16 2009 - 20:52:31 CEST

Original text of this message