Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Walter Mitty <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:47:24 GMT

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:nZxXl.31160$PH1.11785_at_edtnps82...
> Walter Mitty wrote:
>> Concurrency, transaction control, and ACID (Atomic, Consistent,
>> Isolated, and Durable). These are big concepts that permit a database
>> server to serve diffferent transactions concurrently, without the actions
>> of one participant propagting chaotically onto the view that another
>> transaction has of the current state of affairs.
>
> Not to criticize the rest of the post, but regarding ACID, Date, for one,
> has pointed out that it is flawed, rather ironically, in that it doesn't
> prevent a single user of a db from violating integrity, assuming they are
> using an 'imperative' language.

It wasn't my point to guide the OP into the "correct" view of every aspect of database theory. Rather, I was trying to respond to hes need for keywords to guide him in browsing the Teorey book. I don't know which of these keywords are even covered in Teorey. But hopefully my list will be helpful in places.

Actually, ACID has very little to do with the relational model as such. I've seen non relational systems (graph databases) that apply ACID rules to transactions. The concepts play out almost identically. Received on Tue Jun 09 2009 - 20:47:24 CEST

Original text of this message