Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:06:42 -0700 (PDT)

On 9 juin, 18:46, Bernard Peek <b..._at_shrdlu.com> wrote:
> In message
> <ebb2fda2-f8ef-4f52-963e-2d0e003a1..._at_g20g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
> cim..._at_hotmail.com writes
>

> >On 9 juin, 17:30, Bernard Peek <b..._at_shrdlu.com> wrote:
> >> In message
> >> <439c733f-05f3-4240-a009-c13dae47d..._at_r34g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
> >> dr.coff..._at_gmail.com writes

> >> At the moment relational theory seems to be so effective at handling
> >> low-level database management that I think that its practitioners are
> >> quite right in considering themselves an essential component of
> >> efficient systems design.
> >What is low level database management?  What is high level database
> >management?
>
> In this context high-level database systems are object-oriented. The
> analogy is with high and low-level programming languages.
I am having difficulties understanding you. Could you state according to what principles you can qualify a system as being high level or low level. In database theory, low level = physical level = procedural languages. What is high level according to OO mindset?

> >> On the other hand from an OO practitioner's point of view relational
> >> theory is a quite little backwater that doesn't have much applicability
> >> in the real world.
> >There seem to be  a contradiction between this statement and the
> >previous.  How can you claim that relational theory is effective into
> >handling some database management and then denounce its lack of
> >applicability.
>
> Please re-read what I actually said.
I believe I did. I just asked a question. How can something that is applied on a daily basis have a lack of applicability ?