Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:59:09 -0700 (PDT)

On 9 juin, 17:30, Bernard Peek <b..._at_shrdlu.com> wrote:
> In message
> <439c733f-05f3-4240-a009-c13dae47d..._at_r34g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
> dr.coff..._at_gmail.com writes
>

> >I'm blaming the community because members seem systematically
> >unable to project themselves into the shoes of a newbie, and
> >are thus unable to see the subject from the newbie's perspective.
>
> >That's a sign of a professional community well on its way
> >to professional degeneracy.
>
> At the moment relational theory seems to be so effective at handling
> low-level database management that I think that its practitioners are
> quite right in considering themselves an essential component of
> efficient systems design.
What is low level database management? What is high level database management?

> On the other hand from an OO practitioner's point of view relational
> theory is a quite little backwater that doesn't have much applicability
> in the real world.
There seem to be a contradiction between this statement and the previous. How can you claim that relational theory is effective into handling some database management and then denounce its lack of applicability.

> I don't see an inherent conflict between these views and both are very
> probably true.
Much have been written on the subject but I remember reading somewhere that a perfect OODBMS is nothing else than a TRDBMS...