Re: More on identifiers

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 22:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 8, 5:04 am, rp_at_raampje.(none) (Reinier Post) wrote:
> David BL wrote:
> >Getting back to the topic of my original post, what do you think of
> >the idea of DVAs to avoid the need to label things?
>
> I think your opening posting is spot on.
>
> It clearly explains the motivation for abstract identities
> that also motivated the early-90s work Marshall refers to in his link,
> which initially went under the banner of "object-oriented
> database languages" (which, as you explained in another posting,
> is at odds with "true OO" in which objects are abstract machines,
> but it does agree with how OO is often used in practice, e.g.
> with treating UML class diagrams as data models), and was later
> continued under the banner of "semi-structured data".
>
> So what I would ask is: how is your idea of a DVA different
> from the "object-oriented" logics and algebras invented
> in the early 90s?

Not having studied the OO logics that you refer to I cannot answer the question with any authority.

I assume you are referring to the analogy that could be made between a DVA and an OO instance used to model an entity, in the sense that in both cases properties of the entity are recorded in a localised manner.

I do have some ideas on the distinction, if you are interested. Received on Mon Jun 08 2009 - 07:53:14 CEST

Original text of this message