Re: ID field as logical address

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 06:30:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 6, 5:50 am, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > On Jun 5, 2:10 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> >> "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message
> >> <snip>
>
> >> I didn't say it was a problem with the RM.  I said it was a problem with
> >> Date and Darwen's notions that a database is a collection of relvars and
> >> that insert, update and delete are shortcuts for relational assignments.
>
> >> You're underscoring my point, by the way, which is that adopting those
> >> notions requires that every instance of every key be a permanent
> >> identifier
> >> for something in the Universe of Discourse
>
> > Yup, if you talk about something in a proposition use a stable
> > identifier for it. It's not just desirable, but essential. Use a nice
> > stable EMP# not a person's name.  It is about integrity not
> > 'expressiveness'.
>
> It is not essential.  Language terms can denote different things at
> different times.  "The President of the United States" is Barack Hussein
> Obama now, but was George Walker Bush just five months ago.

Those are not merely 'language terms'. The "President of the US" and "Barack Obama" are different things, with different properties. The fact that they currently happen to coincide is what is confusing you (imo of course).

It is /essential/ one knows which of those things one wants to keep track of in order to pick a key that will be stable over time, and hence construct a schema that will maintain integrity over time. If you are concerned with the "person" then that should be the chosen key, and their "post of office" will change over time. If you are concerned with the "post of office" then that is the key, and the "person" holding that position will change over time.

> >> If the user didn't know that fact, then they wouldn't have issued an
> >> update
> >> stating that fact.  They would have attempted to issue an update
> >> targetting
> >> supplier 456, and the update would of course have been rejected.
>
> > This is the crucks of the matter. You'd then be stuck with a fact in
> > your database that is false. Why the integrity failure? Because a
> > poor, unstable key was used. There is no solving this with rowid's, or
> > any other kind of shims.
>
> It's not so much an integrity failure.  Issuing a delete or update that
> targets a nonexistent tuple is a different kind of nonsense than issuing a
> delete, update or insert that violates a constraint.  I would call the
> constraint violation an integrity failure, but I'm not sure what name fits
> the other kind of nonsense.

You've missed the point that we were left (forever) with a tuple in the database that was false (concerning the supplier 123 who no longer existed). That is the integrity failure, and it is irrevocable because of the poor choice of key. Unless you address how this problem can be averted (without intervening updates, which as we have seen may not be available), your position must be acceded.