Re: ID field as logical address

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:05:59 +0100

In message
<688c5bfa-d377-40c4-b5f7-6a254e2ce314_at_k8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, robur.6_at_gmail.com writes

>Now, while the database is consistent, the information does not
>reflect reality. But it is not system’s fault, it is ours because we
>made a mistake by not deleting the information from Departments. A
>database reflects what was told. It just records the statements we
>made if they conform to some constraints. It is our job to make sure
>that we tell it the truth.

As database designers we have an additional responsibility. We are supposed to build enough intelligence into the system that it can detect at least some of the lies people might tell it. We understand that the name "Mary Smith" is not sufficient to identify an individual so we design systems that can cope with holding data on two people with the same name.

--
Bernard Peek