Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 10:31:47 -0700 (PDT)

On 17 mai, 18:32, sqlg..._at_live.com wrote:
> Don't mind Celko, his a "cowboy dba".
>
> The fact is that you may need a surrogate key in a real world
> application (not theoretical). If you constantly use a mixture of
> natural keys and surrogates, your application is going to be a mess.
> I highly recommend going with a surrogate like an identity column. If
> you ask Celko for a standard forum DDL where users have the ability to
> change the topic subject, he will never respond because he doesn't
> know how (without the use of surrogates).
The suggestion of using *only* identity columns is sufficient to distinguish tuples is even worse than the nonsense CELKO usually pours down on people.

Oh yeah btw, we already heard the argument of *leave that theoretical crap out* before.... Received on Sun May 17 2009 - 19:31:47 CEST

Original text of this message