Re: Natural keys vs Aritficial Keys

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 02:34:19 GMT

Walter Mitty wrote:
> My big bugaboo with the ID field is that if two rows have different IDs but
> otherwise identical data, there tends to be a disconect between developers
> and analysts as to whether this is harmful duplication or not. It gets even
> worse if the two rows have different ID fields, ...

if it suits the app' and it has been explained to them then those people should be fired or at least re-assigned. it makes absolutely no sense to try to 'work' with people who don't get it. That is the worst kind of work. The really thoughtful ones who object would have already come up with a better design. The fact that so many organizations persist in denying this is a tribute to the fallacious 'personnel' corporate management philosophy of the 1960's. Most people who are thirty years younger than i am don't understand that it takes two generations to forget the mistakes. The db field today is subject to the problem because it is younger than that and corporate-dominated. Received on Sun May 17 2009 - 04:34:19 CEST

Original text of this message