Re: a union is always a join!

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:55:47 -0400

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:QT9vl.18230$PH1.1832_at_edtnps82...
> Walter Mitty wrote:
>>
>> Don't you think Heraclitus said all of this much more clearly, some 2500
>> years ago?
>>
>> http://www.spaceandmotion.com/philosophy-metaphysics-heraclitus.htm
>

> Sounds like he was a fine old abstracter (abstractionist?). Seems Abelson
> and company were hip too:

> (Even while it changes, it stands still.)
>
> Heraclitus
>
> (also):
>
> Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
>
> Alphonse Karr
>
> (both from the esteemed sicp book)
>
> I gather the temporal db people, whatever their arguments, at least agree
> on choosing their desired abstractions up front, not plopping multiple
> interpretations onto the basic Codd model with extraneous lingo like
> 'tense' and 'modal' in today's popular but despicable faux-technocratic
> way. (The general public has allowed the technocrats to usurp their own
> name, just like the once-respectable word 'propaganda' in the 1930's. An
> honest db technocrat ought never venture into metaphysics.).

Is this the new liberalism: express a position that is counter to consensus--regardless if it or the consensus is correct--and endure not just scorn and ridicule, but even to being cast as morally reprehensible. I guess it would be too much to ask for a rational argument, if it were even possible for you to formulate one, since ad hominem attacks are usually either petty acknowlegements that there is no counterargument or hide an inability or an unwillingness to comprehend what is under discussion. Received on Mon Mar 16 2009 - 00:55:47 CET

Original text of this message