Re: A different definition of MINUS, part 4

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:05:19 -0800

Bob Badour wrote:
> Are you familiar with Fabian's observations regarding 'denormalization
> for performance' ? He observes that such 'denormalized' schemas are
> slower if one actually declares the constraints; thereby suggesting any
> performance difference comes at the cost of integrity.

I think I agree with him and I'd even go further and say that the only kind of denormalization there is, is 'logical denormalization', in a nutshell,logical re-casting of logical expressions. I think when most people talk of 'denormalization' what they are really talking about are physical re-arrangements but always in the back of their minds is a rigid, simplistic misconception, which they imagine is some kind of governing principle, that the physical image is a direct image. There is no such thing as 'physical denormalization' in the first place. Received on Mon Dec 29 2008 - 17:05:19 CET

Original text of this message