Re: Modeling question...

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 00:39:49 GMT

Roy Hann wrote:
> paul c wrote:

>>> Aren't all identifiers artificial?  ...
>> Ie., we make them up.

> You need to be more precise. All identifiers are made up somewhere, but
> not necessarily within the enterprise of interest. "We" might not
> need to make up any. Or we might need to make up a few--ideally the
> fewest sufficient.

Sure. But as for "not necessarily within the enterprise of interest", why does such a distinction matter?

(BTW, I wasn't implying that I agree with the lazy shallow people who think every relation should have a generated key. I piped up because I'm always happy to try to keep threads about RVA's or recursion or constraints alive. The latter two areas seem rather under-explored to me.) Received on Thu Nov 13 2008 - 01:39:49 CET

Original text of this message