Re: Object oriented database

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:03:42 GMT

Walter Mitty wrote:
> There have been dozens of object vs relational discussions in this newsgroup
> over the years. They usually degenerate into a fruitless pissing contest
> after only a few replies back and forth. It's possible that this discussion
> will generate some useful dialogue that the previous discussions did not.
> But most regulars don't expect that to happen.

I suspect the reason is that most or all of the alternatives to relational theory offer no logical theory so it is a misconception to call them alternatives. Just because the RM has the most coherent theory so far doesn't mean somebody (smarter than I) couldn't come up with a logical alternative but I'd say that hasn't happened yet, here or elsewhere.

Now that I notice all the posts, it does seem we have a troll in our midst. This seems to happen here once or twice a year, maybe so rarely because most of the posters here are more disciplined than in some groups. My apologies to everybody else for not recognizing this one sooner. Received on Sat Nov 01 2008 - 23:03:42 CET

Original text of this message