Re: Modeling question...

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:37:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 29, 9:13 am, JOG <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Oct 23, 3:15 pm, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

> > > Indeed. And yet hundreds of peer-reviewed papers have been published
> > > on the topic. I find this incredibly depressing.
>
> > Ok, I’ll bite…
>
> > No doubt any data can be made to “fit” into the relational model.
>
> Let me state first that I don't believe that the relational model is
> universally applicable (I'm not sure where you think I have stated
> that).

When I said "universally applicable" I meant (only) with respect to the recording of data, where data means "encoded values".

> However, all data can be stated in predicate logic, and all
> statements of logic can be modelled in the RM. Hence, i consider it
> absolutely unarguable that there is any data which cannot be
> structured as a schema of relations. This is my objection to the
> semistructure literature.

When you say "data" do you always mean "encoded facts"?

> > The more important question is whether it happens /naturally/.
> > The relational model works really well when there is a UoD on which many
> > propositions can be made without needing to introduce lots of abstract
> > identifiers.
>
> The RM handles facts as naturally as stating them in predicate logic.
> And why would one ever model things other than facts in predicate
> logic?

Exactly!

> I think there is confusion (in general, not simply here!) about what a
> database is intended to model.

Agreed.

> It models data as it has been stated in
> the real world, not the things which that data refers to.

Yes that fits with your assumption that data = encoded facts.

However it doesn't make sense when you say data = encoded values. Encoded values just "are". They don't necessarily refer to anything in the real world.