Re: Must we also create separate tables?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:05:54 GMT

Walter Mitty wrote:
> "paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message ...
>> Heh, just to muddy the waters a little or even a lot, the conventional
>> normalization discipline is really just a way to help determine a simple
>> structure that avoids a lot of constraint verbiage. From what I gather of
>> the typical SQL product it is effectively a sop that allows them to
>> cop-out and not give very full constraint support.
>>

> Nah!

Ha! Guessing that brief riposte was to do with the second sentence. Maybe it was a little inflammatory but those sql people probably deserve that for some reason or other. Can't help wonder what Thurber would have thought. As for Codd, I can't prove this either, but I am pretty sure, given his crude audiennce in the early days, maybe now too, that he was going out of his way to avoid having to advocate more subtle / less opaque structures than his "normal" form. Received on Tue Oct 28 2008 - 00:05:54 CET

Original text of this message