Re: Modeling question...

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:01:21 -0500

JOG wrote:

> Despite a growing literature, current definitions of "semi-structure"
> are woefully inadequate.

A million people can (and evidently will) talk bollocks, but it's still bollocks.

> The standard denotation is of data that "does
> not fit into the relational model".

That definition is entirely bogus. The relational model just applies set theory to first order predicate logic. If you have "data" that doesn't fit into both of these then you better start hiring mystics to look after it for you.

But of course what someone who says that really means is, "data that we can't be bothered to fit into the relational model because the programming tools we use to write the applications are so crap there is no point."

--
Roy