Re: Limits

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:58:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 26, 1:17 am, Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNena..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2:58 pm, JOG <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > For instance if we have relation:
> > R := {w, x, y}
>
> > where the tuples are:
> > w := (a:1, b:1)
> > x := (a:2, b:2)
> > y := (a:3, b:2)
>
> > then "ordering by a" yields a total ordering over R:
>
> > but "ordering by b" gives the partial ordering:
>
> OK. But who the recepient of the ORDER BY output? I assume it is some
> sort of SQL client. Can it understand partial order?

No, of course not, because clients tend to allocate tuples into an an array, and certainly don't store them as a set even logically. However, this is somewhat of a digression, because I was concerned with the theory - whether such concepts can be integrated into RA, and if doing so offers any utility. Ordering seems important. Received on Sat Jul 26 2008 - 02:58:00 CEST

Original text of this message