Re: Guessing?

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:24:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 20, 6:10 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message

> > On Jul 11, 3:30 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> >> [Snip]

> >> A word without an interpretation is just sqiggles or noise. Only under
> >> an
> >> interpretation does it convey meaning. Also, a word is not a value. See
> >> below.

> >> That's not how I read it, but it's not worth fighting about.

> >> Not exactly what you said: you were speaking of /values/ not words.
> >> There
> >> is a difference. A value is what a symbol or collection of symbols
> >> stands
> >> for. It is the object in the universe that under an interpretation the
> >> symbol maps to. It is what is meant.

> >> Not necessarily real-world objects, but those in the universe of
> >> discourse--whatever that happens to be.
>
> >> Isn't it true that the following all represent the same value: four, IV,
> >> 4?
> >> So here we have different symbols and combinations of symbols that map to
> >> the same object in the universe--the same value; so here we have
> >> different
> >> symbols and combinations of symbols that under an interpretation mean the
> >> same thing.
>
> >> It is not madness: A value is not a symbol. It is an output of the
> >> function
> >> that maps symbols and combinations of symbols to objects in the universe.
> >> A database contains symbols and combinations of symbols that only under
> >> an
> >> interpretation have values, but since there should always be an intended
> >> interpretation, a database should always contain symbols and combinations
> >> of
> >> symbols that have values. So it is imprecise, though understandable, to
> >> say
> >> that a database contains values.
>
> > Well what can I say. I am genuinely suprised that you would follow
> > your line of thought and end up denying the fact that "Databases
> > contain values" (and hence propositions do too I guess), without
> > wondering whether this contradiction with common-sense might throw one
> > of your assumptions into doubt.
>
> > I'd have thought that this is the opposite of what scientific method
> > should be all about - start with a model, extend, find an empirical
> > contradiction that falsifies it, go back and reassess.
>
> I contend that there is a difference between a symbol that represents
> something in the universe and a value. If that runs counter to your
> particular brand of common-sense, then I sympathize but suggest you adopt
> another.

Yes, we know that. But you're value = object definition leads to the contradictions:
* databases then have no values in them. * to tell someone to enter a value into a spreadsheet cell becomes a nonsense.
* a mathematical formalism contains no values at all, given it need not refer to anything in the real world. * etc.

This is all counter to everyday experience, and nothing to do with my common sense. It is just not good enough to ignore the actual use of a word.