Re: Insurance data models...any tips on good starting point?

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:26:22 -0700 (PDT)

On 10 juil, 20:03, aai_jj <jjohn..._at_grafikchaos.com> wrote:
> We have a client that has the typical online quote generator but is
> looking to revamp that process and tie it in with other services he
> can sell to other insurance clients. The application is still in its
> infancy but could have the potential of blowing up in our face if we
> don't plan accordingly.
>
> The old website used a fairly simple RDB with a lot of array
> manipulation done by the developers, but we'd like to make it a little
> more object-oriented, maybe even consider an EAV modeling approach to
> allow for the growth.
>
> Are there any insurance data models out there to start from or is
> anybody willing to share their experience on similar projects?
>
> Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
EAV Pros analysis
Pros
You got to be the database designer of the month for having succeded to invent a flexitive (pun intended) hero that attempts to free up systems from the dictatorship of evil rigid RM system. You will be very popular for a good 1 to 2 monthes.

Cons
Once you start maintaining the system, troubleshoot and tune up performance degradation, you will soon find out that you simply took the wrong path into doing database design and are rapidly loosing ground. But don't worry, people will forgive your error since they won't know that the source of this mess is your own ignorance and by the time they do you should be already reaffected to another project and leave it to some poor more ignorant designer to handle.

Only thing remaining is a bad backtaste and you should wake up designing poor systems over again...until you educate yourself... Received on Fri Jul 11 2008 - 00:26:22 CEST

Original text of this message