Re: Guessing?

From: paul c <toledobysea_at_ac.ooyah>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:48:27 GMT

Brian Selzer wrote:
> "paul c" <toledobysea_at_ac.ooyah> wrote in message

>>> ... In a first order language, you have constant symbols and
>>> predicate symbols, and under an interpretation, meaning is assigned not
>>> only to the constant symbols but also to the predicate symbols.  The way
>>> I see it, the only way you can have overlapping meanings is if a relation
>>> has a disjunctive predicate. ...
>>
>> Not sure if that's so, but willing to assume it is for now.  It reminds me
>> that I have doubts about whether any relation should be allowed to
>> disjunctions within individual propositions, at least if we want
>> 'interchangeability'.  For example, a base relvar that has been inserted
>> to with "union" certainly doesn't have a disjunctive predicate so why
>> should a view that is manifested the same way be different?

> Because one involves two database states and the other involves only one.
> Any mutating operation necessarily involves two database states (or
> instances, or values--whichever nomenclature you prefer): there is what was
> then supposed to be the case and what is now supposed to be the case. But a
> view simply presents information contained in one database state--what is
> now supposed to be the case--in a different way. The connection between
> what is presented by a view and what is in the underlying relations is the
> expression that defines the view. If that happens to be a union, then the
> predicate of the view is the disjunction of the predicates of the two
> operands of the union. This is inescapable.

One may choose one's starting point so as to conclude that it is 'inescapable' (sorry, not trying to mimic Bob B's high tones), but I feel that escape from this consequence is rather necessary! (seems a pedantic consequence to me which usually signals to me that something basic is just wrong, also I'm not saying I have the IQ wherewithal to show how, but am wondering whether a more complete POOD might argue that the presence of any non-disjunctive tuple in a db, no matter whether it's in a base or 'virtual' relation, trumps any disjunctive operator that might have produced/manifested it.) Received on Sun Jun 22 2008 - 00:48:27 CEST

Original text of this message