Re: An encouraging note to hopeless DBA's

From: paul c <toledobysea_at_ac.ooyah>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 02:08:50 GMT

Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> paul c <toledobysea_at_ac.ooyah> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> As they say, politics makes strange bedfellows.  Everybody and his
>> brother saw how Microsoft tried to usurp the haphazard TML when they
>> were approaching a browser monopoly, I'm sure they'd like to try the
>> same with SQL but maybe competition from Oracle et al hinders that
>> (harder for customers to switch).  Personally, I'd like to see them turn
>> SQL into an even bigger mess.  Call me an anarchist.

> So XML or some other abomination can "save" us? Ah, so many
> choices, none good.

Once you have ascended to the anarchist's way, you'll know that reason never prevails, no matter how much Voltaire's Bastards, technocrats and other rationalists think it will if only the masses can be educated to their way of thinking. Like the environmentalists who fail to recognize that population is the number one problem, no matter the continent. They want big happy families, the bigger the better. Human history shows us that sea changes only happen cataclysmically (note, I managed a 6-syllable word) during some seemingly unrelated upheaval or other. Virtue is not its own reward, just the only one most of us can expect and probably no humans, meek or otherwise, will inherit the earth.

(I knew a guy who had a company called Catalytic Systems, went out of business after people started calling it: guess what?) Received on Wed May 28 2008 - 04:08:50 CEST

Original text of this message