Re: Guessing?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:41:37 -0300

paul c wrote:

> David BL wrote:
>

>> It seems to me that every base relvar will in practice have some
>> defined intensional definition outside the RM formalism and
>> inaccessible to the DBMS.

> A practitioner who (knowingly) tolerates or suggests that is likely
> either a sucker or a charlatan. (Bob B called Codd's example a straw-man.)

Goedel tells us there will always necessarily be some external intension. However, POOD asks us to minimize it and to render as much of the system as possible amenable to calculation.

Codd's example is a straw man because he omits from the design the information necessary for the dbms to calculate the disjointedness of the base relations. Received on Tue May 27 2008 - 17:41:37 CEST

Original text of this message