Re: Terminology Question: Intention and Extension

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:11:08 -0300

paul c wrote:
> Rob wrote:

>> Same question though -- are these terms (*intension* and *extension*)
>> used for *query* and *response*?

> Could be, just as an intension is a way of describing a set without
> materializing it. But I'd say it is just a high falutin' kind of lingo
> in most circumstances even if some consultants might think it helps
> justify their rates.

In my experience, consultants generally lack sufficient education to know the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intension

The words come from logic and philosophy and as such have meaning when it comes to symbolic logic and symbolic manipulation etc. The words (or derivatives) get used in OO too where one has the Extent of a class etc. Received on Sat Apr 05 2008 - 21:11:08 CEST

Original text of this message