Re: Object-relational impedence

From: S Perryman <q_at_q.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:29:58 +0000

Marshall wrote:

> On Mar 18, 9:13 am, S Perryman <q..._at_q.com> wrote:

>>Their system used an RDBMS. And it performed poorly.
>>The same systems subsequently built on the same platforms (HW, OS, comms,
>>prog langs etc) , but using an OODBMS instead, performed orders of
>>magnitude better.

>>That's life.

> I just want to drop a general comment in here.

> Tools designed directly for a specific purpose will outperform > general purpose tools.

 > [ snipped - but read and acknowledged ]

Absolutely.
There is no shame in not being able to do particular things as well as the best candidates. That's life.

What actually happened was that right across telecoms, for these particular systems, the stock RDBMS were suffering horrendously (Oracle, Ingres, Informix etc) .

It just so happened that OODBs emerged at that particular time, and solved this one particular problem very well indeed.

If the time-line had been in the late 1980s (as it was for the first similar type of system I worked on that RDBs were having grief) , something else would have been devised (OS "flat file" structure/persistence etc - which notably was/is used for these systems but on resource-constrained embedded envs) .

Regards,
Steven Perryman Received on Tue Mar 18 2008 - 21:29:58 CET

Original text of this message