Re: Flash to JOG

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:44:42 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:47da830f$0$4059$9a566e8b_at_news.aliant.net...
> Jon Heggland wrote:
>
> > Quoth Bob Badour:

> >>I wished years ago they would take the Turbo-Pascal approach to pricing
> >>or at least the Oracle-borg approach to marketing.
> >
> > I don't know what the Turbo-Pascal pricing was, but Dataphor was dirt
> > cheap, wasn't it? A pay-once server license, a few hundred dollars or
> > something? I don't remember; being a non-profit organisation, we didn't
> > pay the list price.
>
> Turbo-Pascal was $99 for a compiler with a complete IDE. Prior to its
> release, compilers generally cost many times that, and one edited source
> files with WordStar. Phillipe Kahn for all his flaws completely changed
> the market, which is what Alphora needed to do to succeed with D4.

I paid $30 for my first Turbo-Pascal copy. That was Borland's price, in 1983, for the CP/M version. It was not the first version. In addition to the low purchase price, another low cost feature was the absence of a price tag on the running of object code. Some other languages feature a cheap compiler, but the licensee of object code is forced to obtain a run time system. Received on Fri Mar 14 2008 - 15:44:42 CET

Original text of this message