Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: topmind <>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:33:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 12, 9:14 am, S Perryman <> wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:
> > If one studies the algorithms for minimum spanning trees, one quickly
> > sees the task involves no traversals whatsoever. In fact, one generally
> > creates the MST as a precursor to some sort of traversal, and the
> > algorithms themselves are specified in terms of sets, which makes them
> > ideal for implementing relationally.
> What about the canonical graph algorithms (breadth/depth first, transitive
> closure etc) ??
> Traversal (accessing adjacent node sets) for these happens on a per-node
> basis, does it not.

An implementation probably will, but that does not mean that graph searching cannot be *defined* declaratively. In other words, a language may have a declarative "request" but the implementation may decide to use a node-per-node processing algorithm.

> Regards,
> Steven Perryman

-T- Received on Thu Mar 13 2008 - 16:33:54 CET

Original text of this message