Re: Object-relational impedence

From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

S Perryman wrote:
> topmind wrote:
>
> > S Perryman wrote:

> >>1. Devised at the NCC in Norway, not Xerox PARC.
>
> >>2. Devised because of the influence of academic work on data types (Hoares'
> >>"record" types) , and noticing things having related properties/behaviours
> >>in simulation systems.
>
> > "Types" tend to rely on similar hierarchical taxonomies (or at least
> > DAG taxonomies) that inheritance does, and *suffer similar problems*.
> > It is difficult to reduce most non-trivial real-world things into such
> > trees/dags because they generally don't fit such, especially over the
> > longer run. Even numbers, the poster child of "types", tend to get
> > ugly if try to create a tree taxonomy with them. Feature sets are a
> > more flexible and natural way to represent and manage variations-on-a-
> > theme. (Disclaimer: I have no objective metrics to measure "more
> > natural" and "flexible" at the moment.)
>
> Your rantings :
>
> 1. pollute my pleasant experience of recent debate with people who actually
> know something about database fundamentals, and have contributions
> related to other areas

Did I say anything objectively wrong?

> 2. are off-topic rubbish

I disagree it is "off-topic".

> 3. demonstrate a complete ignorance of anything relating to type theory in
> programming languages

Did I say anything objectively wrong? Or is this Soviet Justice?

> So on all counts: on your way, little boy ...

Net-etiquette dictates you simply ignore replies you don't like rather than call people names.

Why not spend time coding up realistic examples of types curing cancer and saving puppies instead of spending time insulting people? Show gizmos being good instead of claiming people are bad.

-T- Received on Wed Mar 12 2008 - 22:23:30 CET

Original text of this message