Re: Object-relational impedence

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:47:05 -0500

On 2008-03-06 02:12:17 -0600, Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> said:

> On Mar 5, 10:40 pm, Robert Martin <uncle..._at_objectmentor.com> wrote:

>> On 2008-03-05 14:10:11 -0600, "Dmitry A. Kazakov"

>>> Because it is in fact untyped.
>>
>> No, it's just not statically typed.

> This issue is entirely tangential to the thread, but just FYI.
> There is a strict, formal definition of "type" under which
> languages like Python, Smalltalk, etc. are untyped.
> This sense of the term is often favored in type theory,
> and in fact is the one that introduced the word "type" to
> mathematics.

So let's go back to the thread. (up above this, I'm sure you can find it) I started talking about static and dynamic typing. Somebody said dynamic typing was bad. I asked why. They said it was because it was untyped.

Now aside from the fact that the argument had, at that point, gone circular, I think the person who used the word 'un' was also imputing a pejorative meaning to it. So I corrected him.

> In common parlance, however, untyped languages are
> typically called "dynamically typed" in cases where they
> employ a runtime tag system to classify values.

Agreed. The term 'untyped', whether "formal" or not, is inaccurate when used to describe a dynamically typed language. Every value has a type.

> I propose the thread is already sufficiently contentious
> without introducing further areas of controversy, such
> as static typing vs. whatever you care to call the other thing.

So then this post was an attempt to attenuate controversy?

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com