Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:34:35 -0500

On 2008-03-09 00:55:27 -0600, Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> said:

> Meh. You suckered me in to an argument that revolves around
> the meaning of vaguely worded terms. Who cares WTF is a
> "system" or not? The point is, a card catalog is just data.
> It exists independently of "behavior", whatever that vaguely
> worded term is supposed to mean. (My best guess: it's not
> *supposed* to mean anything all that specific.) And yet it
> is still useful. Which supports the idea that data is more
> fundamental.

If I write a set of rules that tell you how to use a card catalog, you can apply those rules to *any* card catalog that has a recognizable format.

Now, which came first? The rules, or the cards? Were the cards designs around the rules? Or were the rules designed around the cards?

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com