Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:02:47 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 8, 6:07 pm, Robert Martin <uncle..._at_objectmentor.com> wrote:
> On 2008-03-06 15:37:56 -0600, topmind <topm..._at_technologist.com> said:
>

> >> Each small group of classes becomes a little roll-your-own data access
> >> and manipulation scheme that is perfectly tuned for it's very specific
> >> purpose.
>
> > Which is over-kill for the task-level.
>
> Do you have proof that it's overkill? Do you have any objective
> measurements that it's overkill? Or it is just your own opinion. I
> mean, if it works for you that's great, but don't force your own
> opinions on everyone else <grin>

This is a fallacious argument. You're proposing extra effort without justification. The idea that, in the absence of evidence either way, topmind's proposal of not putting in that effort is on equal footing with yours doesn't hold. Extra effort requires justification. What you are saying is, "hey, we don't know if this work has any value or not, so doing it is just as justified as not doing it."

Burden of proof and all.

> It is very common for programmers to manipulate data into forms that
> are particularly convenient for the application they are writing.
> Databases are seldom in that form since (for one thing) they must
> usually serve many different and competing applications.

(I'm going to just label the above as bogus without justification. It's late and I'm lazy.)

> >> That sentence is true. It is also true if you replace the phrase "the
> >> DB" with the word OO.
>
> > Show me how. I opened my wallet, purchased your book, and found it
> > wanting and produced a much simpler and flexible payroll example. For
> > free even. Unlike you, I don't charge for personal subjective
> > opinions.
>
> There's another one of those hidden emotional barbs. You realize of
> course that you have just promised that you will never write a book.

Not at all. He could instead write a *factual* book.

Marshall Received on Sun Mar 09 2008 - 08:02:47 CET

Original text of this message