Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 22:21:03 -0500

"Robert Martin" <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote in message news:2008030816285050073-unclebob_at_objectmentorcom...
> On 2008-03-06 04:44:48 -0600, "Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
> said:
>
>> This is asinine. A function should be as long as it needs to be.
>> Artificial restrictions such as your five to ten lines are imposed to
>> force
>> neophytes to learn to break up big problems into smaller ones so that
>> they
>> can become productive sooner. Are you still a neophyte?
>
> You are asserting that only newbies write small functions. More
> experienced programmers have the mental capacity to deal with larger and
> more complex concepts, and so can work with larger functions. In short,
> "mine's bigger than yours".

Mental capacity (aptitude) and expertise are two entirely different things. A neophyte may possess extraordinary aptitude yet still lack experience. Would you put a Cessna pilot with no experience in jets behind the controls of a 747 loaded with passengers? Even if he's an extraordinary seat of the pants Cessna pilot? I think not.

> If making functions small is good for newbies, then it's very likely good
> for everyone. If it's not good for everyone, why is it good for newbies?

Training wheels are a good thing when you're learning to ride a bike. Do you still need training wheels?