Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 16:42:39 -0600

On 2008-03-06 10:35:34 -0600, topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:

> Robert Martin wrote:

>> I don't even want to *see* the details here.  I only want to see them
>> lower down.

> Why should I care what YOU want? I want can-can girls and free
> donuts.

Because it's a programmers job to write code that others can read.

> Well, sticking all the details in methods is not comparable either.
> What you want would be like a newspaper with 200 footnotes per page.

No, just nicely broken up into paragraphs.

> As you snipped out, it is NOT a feature unique to OOP languages. And
> again, your own examples had parameters.

True, but OOP makes it easier because you can have small scopes with many functions within them.

>> I suppose some doctors personally prefer to not wash their hands before
>> surgery.  Their preferences are overridden by their professionalism,
>> and by the needs of their patients.

> OBJECTIVE studies show that washing hands works. You know, numbers.
> All you have is a personal opinion. You are mistaking personal
> preference for truth (a common feature of OO proponents).

I've been a programmer for nearly 40 years now. So I think I have some meager understanding of what make code "good". I'm quite happy, however, to run an objective study on this. Indeed, I'll be involoved in just that at the Agile conference this year. I'll let you know the results.

In the meantime you may want to consider that when Ignatz Semmelweiss figured out that Doctors should wash their hands, he was ignored.

>> Look, son, professional coding is not about personal preference.  It is
>> about your company, and your audience.  Hobbyists write code based on
>> their personal preferences.  Professionals write code that many others
>> can read and maintain.

> How do you know how OTHERS read???? You are not them.

I've been an author for over thirteen years, and have enjoyed a modicum of success. So it's my profession to know how others read.

> Don't shove your pseudoscience down my throat.

This from "OOP IS MAD".

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com