Re: Object-relational impedence

From: TroyK <cs_troyk_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:58:32 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 5, 11:19 pm, Robert Martin <uncle..._at_objectmentor.com> wrote:
> On 2008-03-04 17:29:01 -0600, TroyK <cs_tr..._at_juno.com> said:

> >> Then you should be able to fly rings around the programmers and get
> >> them all fired.  Why haven't you?
>
> > If by "fly rings around the programmers" you mean having a fully
> > functioning reference implementation up and running in SQL within 2
> > weeks that ends up taking a team of 3 programmers over 3 months to
> > implement in code, then, yeah, I guess I do. But the architecture
> > called for the programming to be done in a business layer implemented
> > in C# -- we expected and planned for that, so, happily, no one gets
> > fired.
>
> I'm sorry, but are you saying that you blithely allowed your
> organization to expend nine man months of fruitless labor?  Or are you
> saying that there was no way your SQL "reference implementation" could
> have been used in production?
>
> --
> Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: uncle..._at_objectmentor.com
> Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com
> The Agile Transition Experts  | web:   www.objectmentor.com

The discussion is about the veracity of the claims of orders of magnitude difference in the expression and implementation of business rules in SQL vs. in "application code". The architectural decisions and guidelines at play in my company, however, are not up for discussion.

I'm assuming at this point that you accept the claims made by myself and Roy. If you have experience or data that contradicts these claims, feel free to present them.

By the way, I'm specifically talking about measures of code (statements, LOC), not developer productivity (which was Roy's original point). My own observations on the latter are simply an interesting consequence of the former.

TroyK Received on Fri Mar 07 2008 - 20:58:32 CET

Original text of this message