Re: Object-relational impedence

From: Yagotta B. Kidding <ybk_at_mymail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:19:33 +0100 (CET)

S Perryman <q_at_q.com> wrote in news:fqp6ip$bje$1_at_aioe.org:

> Yagotta B. Kidding wrote:

>> Does "the semantics of "joins" are an issue for OO" mean that
>> relational joins cannot be implemented in principle in an
>> object-oriented way ?

> IMHO most things can be implemented in principle.
> Efficiency etc is another (important) matter.
>
> Thinking out loud ...
>
> My unease about joins is that in the ADT/OO sense, for your example
> etc we effectively create instances of a new type whose properties
> actually belong to multiple (existing) object instances. Properties
> that may be realised as computational operations.
>
> I feel that prevailing impls of OO are not up to the job of doing the
> above (although having a consistent Relational infrastructure that
> apart from joins - works is and is programmed the same way for both
> ADT-based and "data value only" types/tuples - is something I have
> long wanted) .

That was refreshingly honest ! Thank you.

However, without joins what is left of the RM ? I think that even projections are not very palatable to the OO model. If so, that leaves us with something not very useful for data management at all.

There are some ( http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/ ~pgray/graduate_course2004/monad.pdf ) but they have a bunch of their own issues, mainly related to join performance (not surprisingly). But, I agree, FP way may still bear some relational fruits as opposed to the barren OOP tree ;)