Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: David Cressey <>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:40:20 GMT

"topmind" <> wrote in message

Robert Martin wrote:
> > OO'ers see it as a necessary evil and don't have a choice because
> > that's where all the data is. Many OO'ers want to toss RDBMS for
> > OODBMS (commercial or roll-your-own).
> You've created an enemy out of thin air. I consult on a *lot* of
> different projects. I simply don't see the attitude you claim is so
> pervasive.

>I would roughly estimate about that 30% of the OO'ers I debate want an
>OODBMS instead of an RDBMS. If your experience differs, so be it. I
> don't watn another anecdote fight.

So be it. That suggests a topic for a different discussion:

Given that so many people want an OODBMS, why has one not been built? I think it's because the term OODBMS contains a contradiction in terms. But I'm open to other opinions. Received on Tue Mar 04 2008 - 20:40:20 CET

Original text of this message