Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:04:54 GMT

"Gene Wirchenko" <genew_at_ocis.net> wrote in message news:c95ns39k99v3qqoeuj33li6h5f1biqoean_at_4ax.com...
> Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Not if they are explanatory. Employee.find("Bob") is a lot easier to
> >understand than Select * from Employee_Table where Name = 'Bob'; In
> >any case, once you have the method, you can polymorphically replace it
> >with test methods etc.
>
> Bah! It is just syntactic sugar and not very sweet at that.
>
> Now try finding Bob who works in Accounting:
> select * from employee_table
> where name='Bob' and dept='Accounting';
>
> Your go.

I don't have the answer, but I predict that it will boil down to which changes faster: the data, the behavior, or the data structure. My experience leads me to conclude that behavior changes slower than data, but faster than visible data structure.

I believe that what I've called "visible data structure" will turn out to be identical to "logical data structure", but I'm not sure. Received on Mon Mar 03 2008 - 14:04:54 CET

Original text of this message