Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Patrick May <>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:54:55 -0500

Marshall <> writes:
> On Feb 29, 5:55 am, Patrick May <> wrote:
>> Marshall <> writes:
>> > I invite anyone who thinks it is possible to decouple application
>> > code and database schema to show me how to make good use of a
>> > general ledger/accounts receivable database schema in building a
>> > content management system.
>> I invite you to point out where anyone has suggested that such
>> a ridiculous idea is the goal of decoupling application code and
>> the underlying database schema.
> The goal is not the issue. You described in general terms an
> impossible task that you said it was possible (even desirable!)
> to do.

     No, I explained a technique that is used frequently by software developers familiar with OO.

> I merely present a specific impossible instance of the general thing
> you claim is possible.

     You presented, well, nonsense. I have no idea what rhetorical trick you thought you were playing, but your silly example has nothing to do with what I wrote in particular or how developers decouple application logic from database schemas in practice.

S P Engineering, Inc. | Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO