Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:10:55 GMT

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:c8a3f852-9f8f-4b48-8591-a9d6c00c254b_at_e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

> > > Sure Mr. Martin is working on a "domain specific language" that
> > > would put SQL to shame?
> >
> > Do you consider SQL to be the best possible language for all
> > problem and solution domains?

> Certainly not. SQL is only good for data management.

Can you help me out here, Marshall? My first take on your comment was that it was sarcasm. But then I thought that maybe you're not being sarcastic, and there's a serious thought here. I've always considered you a serious participant in the newsgroup.

I remember back when I first started reading you in cdt. You were, by your own assessment, somewhat ignorant about data management at that time, a "purebred programmer in recovery" in my words. I'm even more ignorant about OOP than you were about data management years ago. I read a few books, wrote a few trivial programs, and moved on.

My question is, "aside from data management, what else is there?" My intent is neither rhetorical nor sarcastic, although it's probably going to draw a torrent of snide repsonses from both cdt and co.

A little while back, I suggested that there are three things you can do with data that add value:

  1. You can store it.
  2. You can forward it.
  3. You can transform it.

As I see it, "data management", broadly interpreted, affects all three of the above. And combinations of these three describe all of computing, as near as I can tell. What am I missing?