Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:35:44 -0600

On 2008-02-22 13:54:40 -0600, Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> said:

> A model of a circle is a circle is an ellipse.

I think this is a 2500 year old argument that you and I are not going to resolve. Suffice it to say that I disagree. To me (2,2,3) *represents* a circle, but is not in and of itself a circle.

> An instance of a mutable circle class is not an instance
> of a mutable ellipse class. That's where the problem
> lies.

Mutability is one kind or property that is not substitutable accross circle/ellipse relationship. I'm sure we could find others. I agree that if you exclude all the unsubstitutable properties, you can make class circle a subtype of class ellipse. On the other hand, if you exclude all the unsubstitutable properties you can make any type S a subtype for any type T.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com