Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:41:45 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 16, 7:00 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> JOG wrote:

> >>Pointing to some information that isn't data and observing that it is
> >>not data doesn't demonstrate anything. Okay, some information is not
> >>data. The standard vocabularies already make that clear.
>
> > I think you misunderstand me. I am saying that the observations
> > Galileo took down in his logbook /was/ data. It never went near
> > machine processing (certainly not in his lifetime), but it was still
> > data.
>
> I have to ask: Why do you think it is data? Are you not applying the
> colloquial definition which is a synonym for information?

I certainly hope not bob. I'm certainly trying to be very formal about it (in the spirit of Codd and Dijkstra), because I think if computer science ever wants to be taken seriously as a science we really have to be able to properly define what our central concepts - physics has particles and waves, whereas we have entities and data. Its harder for us of course, because unlike hard sciences, we are engulfed by a handwavy, buzzword obsessed IT industry.