Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:43:15 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 14, 11:04 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> If it is represented suitably for machine processing, it is data. It has
> value to the recipient as data because it evokes some emotion or image
> and because a machine can store it, transmit it, reformat it etc. The
> poem is also a fact. The poem doesn't convey a fact. It is one. Poem P
> says Blah.

The symbol P is presumably an identifier for the holder for the appearance of the encoded poem. Drawing the conclusion that the value being encoded has in fact been encoded is rather sheepish to me. It is hardly a proposition that applies in a UoD in the normal sense (ie where the UoD is independent of the medium on which the data has been recorded). Received on Fri Feb 15 2008 - 03:43:15 CET

Original text of this message