Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Stefan Ram <ram_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: 12 Feb 2008 16:27:35 GMT

Patrick May <pjm_at_spe.com> writes:
>Thread someThread = new SomeThreadImplementation();
>someThread.run();
>Unless you're considering the name of the class and/or the name of the
>method to be data, the message is solely about behavior.

  I believe that in the general case object-oriented programs   will also have to use argument values within messages.

  If the argument values are objects, some might not deem them   to be "data", but at least numerical literals and string   literals will be considered to be data (even if they refer to   objects) and hardly can be avoided.

  Which brings up the idea, that it would help to define the   meaning of »data« first.

  I'd say, when one selects (i.e., »specifies«) a value from a   range of several values that are possible within a certain   context, he specifies a datum. »data« then is the plural of   »datum«.

>>Going further, objects do not "see" the behavior of other
>>objects. What they see is the data, written into messages,
>>that is the result of behavior.

  One can sometimes hide data at some of the places.

  For example, instead of

System.out.println( "Hello world!" );

  One can write

HelloWorldWriter.writeTo( System.out );

  Or even

HelloWorldToSystemOutWriter.run();

  But one can not hide data all of the time. For example, when   using »HelloWorldWriter«, somewhere there will be a string   »Hello world!« or equivalent data.

  So the goal then might be not to get rid of data everywhere,   but to get ride of data at those places, where it is not   appropriate to have data. Received on Tue Feb 12 2008 - 17:27:35 CET

Original text of this message