Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:15:58 -0600

On 2008-02-07 15:00:15 -0600, Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNenashi_at_gmail.com> said:

> I suggest that OO ideas are too naive to continue influence
> programming.

OO is not rocket science. It's a very simple, very pragmatic, and very useful technique for managing source code dependencies. Don't try to make more out of it than that. OO is not a deep philosophy, nor an all encompasing world view. It's just a clever syntax for jump indirection, and some rules for grouping data and functions together.

In one sense I agree with you. I think OO has had the maximum influence it can have. I don't expect any more deep thoughts about OO, nor any further revelations about it's implications. OO has run it's course and has become throroghly insinuated into our programming culture.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com